St Chad's Woodseats

Living a Life of Faith, Energised by Love


Picture of wedding ringsYou may be reading this because you’ve decided to get married. If so - congratulations! This page explains a few things you might like to consider if you are thinking about getting married at St Chad’s Church.

Getting Married in Church

There are many buildings these days licensed for marriages, where couples can say their vows before family and friends. A church marriage service also includes family and friends, but most importantly recognises God and his love as being an integral part of marriage, so Christian vows are said in a service that includes prayers, readings and songs.

Getting Married at St Chad's

Wedding buttonholeCouples who want a church wedding will usually marry in their local church. St Chad’s parish covers Woodseats and most of Chancet Wood and Beauchief. If you live within the parish, you can get married at St Chad’s. If you don’t live within the parish boundary it is still possible to be married at St Chad’s but you will need to have a qualifying connection. An example of a qualifying connection would be if your parents live in the parish, or used to live in the parish. If you contact our church office we will be able to tell you quickly whether you can get married at St Chad's.

The Wedding Service

The service in church should be the high point of the day, with moments of seriousness as life-changing vows are said, and times of great celebration as we share in your happiness.

If you are to marry at St Chad’s we will help you talk through any issues of relevance to you. We will help you put the service together. We will answer any questions you have. In February we often take part in a wedding preparation course run by the local churches, to which you are warmly invited.
We are more than happy to advise you if you are unsure whether to have a church service or not.

The Church of England weddings website is an excellent place to start planning your special day.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Wedding carWhat are banns?

Banns are legal announcements declared in church that state a couple are to be married. Banns must be read for 3 weeks in the principal service of the church in which you are to be married (and in your local parish church if you live outside St Chad’s parish). There is a small legal fee, set by parliament, for the declaration of banns. If one or both of you don't live in St Chad's parish then it is very important that you contact your parish church to have the banns read there also.

Can I get married at St Chad’s if I am divorced?

Marriage is a commitment for life - for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer.  We do not therefore automatically agree to conduct weddings for those marrying for a second time.   We will, however, from time to time consider the remarriage of those who have been divorced, perhaps through the difficult circumstances of unfaithfulness or abuse, but this can only be confirmed after a meeting with the minister taking the wedding.

What order should I book things?

If you are planning a Reception, make sure you have checked first that the church is not already booked on the day and time your when you hope to have your wedding.

How much does it cost?

It costs more than a Register Office and less than a hotel or country house! The exact cost depends on what you have in the service.

What do I do next?

If you’re thinking about getting married at St Chad’s Church: